Semper Paratus – Happy Birthday Coast Guard!
Happy Birthday to the Coast Guard today. As the very proud daughter of a WW2 Coast Guardsman, I was brought up with great pride in that small but mighty group of men and women who are both military and cops; who rescue the stranded and patrol our coastline and as the Coast Guard Compass blog says
As America prepares to recognize the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks, Coast Guard men and women are deployed throughout the world sharing their expertise in border protection, drug interdiction and counter-terrorism with our allies while their Shipmates stand a taut watch protecting the homeland.
Here is what our friends in the Coast Guard do, in a day:
On an Average Day, the Coast Guard…
- Saves 12 lives
- Responds to 64 search & rescue cases
- Keeps 842 pounds of cocaine off the streets
- Services 116 buoys & fixes 24 discrepancies
- Screens 720 commercial vessels & 183,000 crew & passengers
- Issues 173 credentials to merchant mariners
- Investigates 13 marine accidents
- Inspects 68 containers
- Inspects 29 vessels for compliance with air emissions standards
- Performs 28 safety & environmental examinations of foreign vessels
- Boards 13 fishing boats to ensure compliance with fisheries laws
- Responds and investigates 10 pollution incidents
Happy 221st Birthday Coast Guard – you sure look great for your age!