Skip to content

Career – School – which?

September 16, 2009

I was at the MOAA Job Fair yesterday. Now that is the place to find a job if you are military (and you don’t need to be a member of MOAA or an officer) and about to retire or leaving the military (son, you MUST come out next year!) But for me, well I don’t have that kind of experience or skill set – but it still made an impression. They had a resume critique panel, and a very pleasant Lt. Col (ret) went through my resume with me and gave me some great pointers to punch it up and make it stand out. I did drop a few resumes at a couple of sites, especially those who are supporting vets and families. But the folks that I spent the most time with, were the ladies at the Fleet & Family Support Center (yes, I’m Army – hooah- but they had great information and were partnering with the Army Career & Alumni Program) No matter that I have over 20 years experience in my field, that I’m considered a “senior” paralegal, they all think I need to finish my degree. So – since I want to work with either wounded warrior advocate programs, or with military families – do I get a degree in counseling, or social work, or what? anyone got any advice for me?

One suggestion I will definitely be checking out, and from the website I am NOT the only one, is the Military Spouse Career Advancement Account MyCAA Has anyone used it?? Seeing my son doing his school work completely online, and talking to a lot of others who are doing the same thing – I’m seriously considering it. So, if any of our readers have used the program, please leave a comment and tell me if it worked, if it didn’t, what I need to do to make sure it works for me. And isn’t it peculiar, the granddaughter is starting preschool, and I just ordered a “school” backpack for her… should Nana get one too?



One Comment leave one →
  1. SoNoNavyWife permalink
    August 30, 2010 10:06 pm

    First, glad to see you here, I was used to reading your comments over at the St. Pete Times blog.
    Second, having just completed my bachelor’s degree, I have to agree with what you’re hearing- finish your degree. If you’re looking to work in advocacy or with mil families, counseling, social work and even human services are great degrees; I have mine in Sociology with an emphasis in Social Welfare and a concentration in Health and Wellness and I am finding it a good match, but I also live in Hampton Roads Virginia, Navy Town USA. I’m also specialized in PTSD and female service members. However, I do also work (volunteer) with a veterans advocacy group and I know we have run into cases where we could use someone with a legal background.
    Third, MyCAA rules have changed drastically. I used it and was one of the last to be able to do so at this pay grade for a bachelor’s degree. It is geared more to the younger/junior ranks for things like certificates and what not. Sucks I know. I was glad I squeaked through when I did. The counselors are hit and miss on the phone but over email through the website are great.
    Good luck!!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: